MP's Petition to the Government of Canada Concerning a PAN-Canadian Strategy for Eating Disorders
MP Carol Hughes has begun a petition to create a National Eating Disorders Strategy. Unfortunately it is not electronic, so she is requesting you to print the PDF, sign by hand, and mail it to her.
*Link to the PDF: gallery.mailchimp.com/fd733abf1885b0d3b1ed730ea/files/e68a120d-29ca-495d-b725-524595fa17ba/Eating_Disorders_M_117_EN.pdf
PETITION TO THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA CONCERNING A PAN-CANADIAN STRATEGY FOR EATING DISORDERS
• Eating disorders, such as anorexia and bulimia, have the highest mortality rate of all mental illnesses, however, the sooner someone receives the treatment they need, the better the chance of a good recovery;
• Eating disorders can be recognized by a persistent pattern of eating behaviour that causes significant distress, life disruption, health problems, as well as emotional and social distress;
• Eating disorders can cause brain damage, changes in hair and skin, loss of bone mass, and the heart to shut down. The first cause of death is cardiac arrest, the second is suicide;
• Currently, children as young as 7 are being diagnosed and hospitalized with eating disorders, and more than 1,000,000 Canadian sufferers and families have been negatively affected, physically, emotionally, and financially by their struggles with eating disorders; and
• Canadians with eating disorders suffer long waiting lists for help, limited access to mental health services, and lack of trained professionals in hospital and residential care.
We, the undersigned, citizens and residents of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to support M-117 and initiate discussions with the provincial and territorial ministers responsible for health and all stakeholders to develop a comprehensive, pan-Canadian strategy for
eating disorders, to include better prevention, diagnosis, treatment, support and research.
~Carol Hughes, MP/Députée (Algoma-Manitoulin-Kapuskasing), House of Commons, Ottawa ON K1A 0A6